Monday, September 22, 2008

Long QT mentioned in Parenting Magazine

Last night I was reading the September issue of Parenting magazine and I started reading an article on SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) SIDS and Babies - Parenting.com . Unfortunately doctors are still trying to figure out what causes SIDS but in the article it mentioned that there might be other causes such as a metabolic disorder or Long QT (an electrical disorder in the heart that causes sudden bursts of extremely rapid heartbeats and can lead to cardiac arrest) which researchers are looking into since these cause no symptoms but are fatal as well. Now as most of you know I have Long QT and when I read anything that mentions this condition I feel like the word is getting out about this rare condition. There is a new genetic test that has just come out that Taelor and Ethan will be taking to see if they have Long QT. They were both tested at birth and everything looked normal but my doctor would like to have the genetic test done since sometimes it will not show up until adolescent age. I can only pray that God has created healthy hearts for them. Please pass this information along about Long QT and to read more about this condition please visit http://www.sads.org/

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I read that article also and thought about you! I'm glad that there's more awareness now than there was when we were kids but there's still not enough...some parents have no clue what it is!

I hope that you all are doing well. We miss you!